"Oh, Herbert"
For as long as I can remember, my daughter has enjoyed inventing names. It's a girl thing, I guess. Names for stuffed animals, baby dolls, "customers" in her play store, "patients" in her play "hostible" (which is how she pronounced "hospital" when she was little). She has also named her future children many times over.
Her names have always amused me. At age 16 she is still imagining what people's names are.
Yesterday my 17 year old was northbound on I-95 as we drove home from Florida. (It was a day I imagined with no uncertain fear from the time he started driving the lawn tractor on my dad's lap.) Ben was cruising along and, by God's grace, I was asleep in the back of our minivan. Suddenly I awoke to the feel of a swerve and the sound of a simultaneous "toot!toot!" from the SUV next to us.
I awoke to see a man flippin' the bird at my son, giving Ben a sinister,Joker-esque grin for what seemed a whole mile.
"What was THAT all about?" I asked Ben.
"I have no idea," he said. "I didn't do anything."
Sarah was laughing. "Did you see how OLD that guy was? I mean he was really old! He must've been as old as Pappaw. Men that age aren't supposed to give you the finger. He was probably embarrassing his wife. She was saying, "Oh, Herbert, what'd you do THAT for? He's just a kid."
Her names have always amused me. At age 16 she is still imagining what people's names are.
Yesterday my 17 year old was northbound on I-95 as we drove home from Florida. (It was a day I imagined with no uncertain fear from the time he started driving the lawn tractor on my dad's lap.) Ben was cruising along and, by God's grace, I was asleep in the back of our minivan. Suddenly I awoke to the feel of a swerve and the sound of a simultaneous "toot!toot!" from the SUV next to us.
I awoke to see a man flippin' the bird at my son, giving Ben a sinister,Joker-esque grin for what seemed a whole mile.
"What was THAT all about?" I asked Ben.
"I have no idea," he said. "I didn't do anything."
Sarah was laughing. "Did you see how OLD that guy was? I mean he was really old! He must've been as old as Pappaw. Men that age aren't supposed to give you the finger. He was probably embarrassing his wife. She was saying, "Oh, Herbert, what'd you do THAT for? He's just a kid."
4 Comments:
Maggie is into the name Klara lately. I don't know if you've been on my quotable kids blog, but I posted there about how she recently named a bionicle Klara, and later a potato bug.
It must be a girl thing, because the boys identify their bionicles by the powers they possess. Sometimes they use the name on the box but not often.
I still have a list of names I used to keep when I was growing up. When I came across a name I liked, I'd just add it to my list. Then, if I was having a hard time naming a character in one of the "novels" I was writing, I'd just go to the list and pick the best fit. I was such a weird kid!
Danielle, I have a list of names in a journal I kept in highschool. Israel is one of them. (someone asked me yesterday where the name came from - I have always like it).
What name are you referring to?Klara?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home