Friday, July 15, 2005

On a Business Card

Last week I found myself needing to give my address and phone number to someone. (But not insurance info, in case you're wondering.) She had a business card; her title was "Sales Consultant." I had no paper to hand her on my way out the door except a wrinkled receipt. So I dictated my information to her.

Driving away, I was thinking again about buying a set of "business cards" to whip out of my wallet for times like those. I wondered what I would put on it.

"Homemaker" sounds nice, it defines the vast part of my life right now, but it's limited.
"Teacher" has a wonderful ring to my ears, but I am sometimes humbled by what my life is teaching. (That's one reason I won't put Christian bumper stickers on my car.)
"Daughter of the King." Nah, I wouldn't want anyone associating me with Job's Daughters. Besides, royalty doesn't go to Wal*mart.
"Disciple of Jesus." That is true, and it is coming closer to how I'd like to be known by God and others.

Then it came to me: Zoanna Z: Servant of God.

What a high calling! What an identity! What limitless possibilities! How close am I to being known that way, or would someone say, "Is THAT what she calls herself? HA!"

So I told a friend about my business card idea. She chuckled.
"Don't you see the irony? A servant of God wouldn't HAVE a business card."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home