Friday, March 31, 2006

French Friend, Parisian Purse



Everyone needs a friend like Isabelle

She and I met online as a result of Hurricane Katrina. Back in October I received 153 Katrina Kits from Europe, many of which she had made herself and the rest of which she had sent after mobilizing seamstresses in several countries to sew for Katrina folks.

If you've read any of my previous posts, you know that Isabelle is a very generous and talented Christian 24-year-old Parisian seamstress, who gives and gives from her heart. I love to read her comments and emails, as she is one of the most eloquent peeople I know--and English is her second language!

Along with the Kits, she sent this purse. She embroidered it on her ooh-la-la machine. My mom said, "Zo,I don't think I've ever seen your name look so pretty as it does right here." She also made a delicately stitched bookmark on an Aida cross, but I can't remember which book it's in. Oh, dear!

I don't have a good digital camera, so this photo doesn't do the purse justice. I photographed it on my good 35 mm when I first received it.

Not only have I received these two "gifties" as she affectionately calls them, she has emailed saying that she has sent two more! I love surprises, especially when I know they're coming! Such joy in anticipating something special.

As I think of Isabelle, I think of several Scriptures:

1) Encourage one another while it is called Today....(Heb. 3:13)
2) As cool water on a hot day, so is good news from a far country. (Prov. 25:25)
3) "In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy. (Prov. 31:19-20)
4) A friend loveth at all times. (Proverbs 17:17)

I could go on and on. Isabelle is a precious sister in Christ, and my life has been made sweeter by knowing her. If the Lord wills, she and I will meet in person on this earth. If not, I am sure we'll recognize each other in heaven. She'll probably have another little giftie for me!

Be like a cool drink of water on a hot day. Pick up the phone and call someone who's out of state--or overseas. Call and tell them how much you miss them and love them or how Christ has used them to ameliorate your suffering, prompt you to laughter, spur you on in good works, intercede on your behalf, or make something for you with her (or his) own hands. Encourage that special friend "while it is called Today."

10 Comments:

Blogger Briana Almengor said...

"ameliorate": what a big word! ;)

Thanks for the encouragement, Zo...it is one we need to hear over and over again.
And, I have to say that you and your daughter have been "life givers" to me on several occasions, coming to sit the boys for me!!
Thank you again, Sarah, for the other night.

Fri Mar 31, 01:08:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

You're welcome, can't wait to do it again when they're awake. They are such sweeties, and holding Judah was the sweetest 2 minutes of my day.

Fri Mar 31, 01:12:00 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Isn't great to strike up such rich friendships through blogging? And as far as being encouraged by friends out of state, I can't tell you how precious my out-of-state friends are. They're always encouraging me.

Sat Apr 01, 06:55:00 AM  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

Dearest Zo, I really don't know what to say... I wasn't expecting this in the least and it indeed came to me as a cool drink of water on a hot day - a perfect pick-me-up on a dreadful headachy day, where I am feeling so useless...

I can't believe you've taken the time to ponder and write all this, for me! While I've always felt that you've brought me so much more than I could ever bring you...
Your friendship has given me a new outlook on life and I really believe that the day when you first wrote to me has been a major turning point for me, in many respects.
In all honesty, I don't think I deserve all that you have so beautifully written - but at least I shall strive towards deserving it.

I can't wait for you to receive your gifties! Maybe I'll be away in Morocco then - but maybe they'll reach you today, or tomorrow!

I don't believe there has been one single day, since we first got to know each other, when I haven't thought of you, and thought how blessed I am to know you - even more than knowing you, to have you as a friend.

You are talking of a "special" friend, and when I think of it, I can't indeed think of any "category" to fit you in - you are not a stitching fellow, not merely a blogging friend since we talk much more through email than through our blogs. We didn't met through a common interest, or hobby, or job - though we did realize later how much we had in common in all those respects. We met through God's grace and in the name of Christ's love. You don't fit in any category - you are simply my sister in Christ!

Thank you for adding a deeper level to my life, every day, and for writing those beautiful words today - thank you for making me smile on a day I only wanted to live in darkness and silence because of an acute migraine!

*Hugs* and love, from a sunny Paris!

Mon Apr 03, 04:22:00 AM  
Blogger Shashi Nayagam said...

Hello Zoanna,
Isabelle's gift is indeed beautiful as she is too. I am sure you deserve it too since your friendship brought so much to her. It is a blessing to have friends like that even if you have never met. I am sure you will meet one day. At least we know for sure we all will meet up there in heaven one day.

Mon Apr 03, 08:02:00 AM  
Blogger Homemaker's Heart said...

What a blessing God has given you to have such a dear friend. Your purse is so beautiful. Thanks for stopping by my blog, {Hugs}

Mon Apr 03, 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Isabelle does very nice work.

The picture is pretty good, considering the "old technology" used to produce it.

Isn't it odd to think of a good 35mm camera as "old" technology?

Tue Apr 04, 03:10:00 AM  
Blogger Zoanna said...

Joe: I guess I wasn't clear. This picture was taken with my cheesy digital (like a $75 model). I took better shots with my 35mm, a camera I love, but I am in the photo and I don't like to be in pictures. I think there's nothing like the quality of those sLR prints, and plus--I feel like a "real photographer" using a heavy camera whose lenses I can fiddle with. I have a selfish prayer for a good digital, but am content with such as I have.

Briana: Sarah loves to come to the rescue when there's little ones involved. Like her profile says, "I don't get why people pay me to have fun." I have to remind her that she needs to build her college fund up.

Danielle: I do love the blogging friendships.

Isabelle: I wish now I had said more about what you do. You are not just a sewing/cross-stitching extraordinaire. Folks, this gal teaches 100 students at a university (English or Am. Lit? I forget-- and more courses, too?) and she is doing research.

You are also the only Christian in your whole family; that in itself is a burden I can't relate to, and I commend you for being such a shining light in their darkness.

Thank you for your kind words to me. I've been told I'm in a class by myself, but never in such a complimentary way!!! I, too, think of you daily; I mean this sincerely. Praying for Sebastian's salvation is on my regular list.

Truly God's grace has brought us together. I really,really want to meet you in person, and you'd make an excellent tour guide in the beautiful city of Paris. Maybe I can make that my daughter's high school graduation giftie next summer?. HA!

Can't wait for your gifties to show up. I just hope they don't get delivered to my neighbor. She'd love them, but that's not the point! My mailman has been misdirecting things lately. Not to worry--we all know each other within a 10-house radius.

Love ya, chere amie! Or is that amie chere?

Tue Apr 04, 07:41:00 AM  
Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

You mentioned you'd like the biscuit recipe--it's up now here: http://letsdolunch.blogspot.com/2006/04/some-breadish-things.html

Wed Apr 05, 09:02:00 AM  
Blogger Zoanna said...

Queen: Thanks so much. Looking forward to trying them.

Wed Apr 05, 10:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home