My Plan to Lose 100 Pounds by July 31st
I bumped into my friend Bonnie at the grocery store yesterday. We started chatting (imagine that) and I thanked her for the clothes Eric passed on to Joel. He lives in the Star Wars PJs which are 10 years old. He loves the other clothes Bonnie gave us from Eric, too.
Then the subject turned to keeping too much stuff too long. She and I tend to hold on to things for "someday" or for "someone who might need this." It's a real problem, especially since we are each married to men who just want it gone. Outta here! Bonnie and I want bigger and better storage solutions. Our hubbies say the solution is not more storage, but less stuff.Very reasonable, Very biblical, too. Just when I think I am not too attached to the "things" of this world, my Paul opens the door to the back of the basement.
So I called Bonnie this morning with a brainstorm, a contest, a challenge.
"Hey, Bonnie. I've got an idea. Want to see who can get rid of the most stuff in pounds by the close of business on July 31st? Purple Heart is picking up donations on August 1st."
"In pounds?" she asked.
"Yeh, I read about it on FlyLady. You weigh your junk. Step on your scale with a bag of clothes, or box of books or whatever, step off and voila! The weight in pounds."
"Oh, that sounds neat."
"Loser treats the other person to something."
"Oh, that sounds good, too." We both love TGIFriday's so that's our reward place.
My goal is to lose at least 100 pound of "stuff." At most, more than Bonnie loses! Either way, though, it's a lose-lose, win-win situation, right?
I
Then the subject turned to keeping too much stuff too long. She and I tend to hold on to things for "someday" or for "someone who might need this." It's a real problem, especially since we are each married to men who just want it gone. Outta here! Bonnie and I want bigger and better storage solutions. Our hubbies say the solution is not more storage, but less stuff.Very reasonable, Very biblical, too. Just when I think I am not too attached to the "things" of this world, my Paul opens the door to the back of the basement.
So I called Bonnie this morning with a brainstorm, a contest, a challenge.
"Hey, Bonnie. I've got an idea. Want to see who can get rid of the most stuff in pounds by the close of business on July 31st? Purple Heart is picking up donations on August 1st."
"In pounds?" she asked.
"Yeh, I read about it on FlyLady. You weigh your junk. Step on your scale with a bag of clothes, or box of books or whatever, step off and voila! The weight in pounds."
"Oh, that sounds neat."
"Loser treats the other person to something."
"Oh, that sounds good, too." We both love TGIFriday's so that's our reward place.
My goal is to lose at least 100 pound of "stuff." At most, more than Bonnie loses! Either way, though, it's a lose-lose, win-win situation, right?
I
7 Comments:
I LOVE IT!! Since we are moving soon I have taken this oppurtunity to lose 100 lbs. myself!!!
:)
Man, I wish I could have gotten in on that a month ago, I love Friday's. We have been cleaning out my mother's house and the first day we got home I was in a panic. I did not want to leave my children with closets full of useless junk to weed through. I cleaned all my closets and somewhere around 20 bags later I was done. Very rewarding! Good Luck. May the best packrat win!
Karen, good for you!! Bonnie and I did mention that we dread the day we have to go through our parents' stuff. Certainly there's a lot of sadness at going thru the sentimental stuff, but then there's a huge burden of just sorting the junk. We don't want to leave our kids with that added burden. I'm sure if you want to got Dutch, you can come along for the Friday's ride! OH, by the way, we are including stuff like things to return to people, which I'm famous for holding, too. Agh! I wish we could include library books. I'd win in 3 days, thanks to SArah's collection for herself and JOel.
Hooray, I found this post and love it. Now, I wish I had someone to race with but getting rid of stuff is up to me, only me.
I am 80, my husband is 82, we both keep and keep stuff but I am surely the worst.
So, I have to work on moving and work on saving our children the mess we are likely to leave them. What a challenge.
Thank you for your encouragement. And may the best girl win!!
Betty G
Dear Betty,
What a treat to read a comment from someone new. An octagenarian at that! I clicked over to your blog and left you a comment. I am very happy to "meet" another Christian who is still going strong in the race. Thanks for your example and your encouragement.
I had to get rid of a lot of stuff moving. I have a smaller house than we had on the east coast. I got rid of a TON of stuff. But it is an ongoing process. I need to lose another 100lbs too. Kids has made it so much harder for me their stuff is taking over my house!! HA HA.
What a great idea! When we moved from the east coast, we got rid of stuff too, like Bethany. Although ours wasn't because we were getting a smaller house. Instead, it's because my husband underestimated the size of moving van we'd need. Opps. We ended up having to leave most of our furniture behind -- but, it was fun replacing it on this end. :-)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home