On Making a Straight Highway
From my journal on Saturday, July 1, 2006--
Isaiah 40:3...I'm noticing punctuation. I've always thought this verse said, "A voice cries in the wilderness, ''Prepare the way of the Lord.'"
But it doesn't. It says: "A voice cries: In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord; make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be lifted up, every mountain and hill be made low, the uneven ground shall become level, and the rough places a plain. And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and then all flesh shall see it together, for the mouth of the Lord has spoken "
[Next to each phrase I drew a little diagram. Beside "Every valley shall be lifted up" I put a big "U" followed by a right arrow and then a straight horizontal line. The next phrase was depicted by a single hump followed by the arrow and horizontal line. The "uneven ground" I drew was a squiggly line. Finally, the "rough places a plain" was pictured as a low zigzag line. }
Quoting again from my journal, "To me this speaks of choice. Make the decision that you will actively pursue God's glory. Don't equate your emotional state or circumstances with His glory. Whether you're high on the mountain (typically associated with glory) or in the valley (depressed) or up and down regularly (jagged places), or in the wilderness (feeling directionless or confused) decide to make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
How? Making a straight highway involves tools and effort. Read accounts of God's faithfulness to His people. Genesis and Exodus are replete with stories of highs and lows, Sinais, Ararats, and Egypt. Keep your shoes on. Walk with the peace of the gospel ready to share it peacefully. Your emotional highs, lows, and "jaggedness" should not be allowed to determine your peace. One of Satan's schemes is to tell you that if you're feeling low and rough, God's peace is meaningless. that peace can only be found on the mountaintop and let's face it, how often do we have those peak times?"
It's a lie. Worshiping God can lift your spirits high and yet when you're seeing His holiness and being convicted, you can be flattened in a moment. So the combo of high worship and humbling realization makes for a level ground where you see God's glory. It's not one or the other. It's simply a straight highway in the making.
Seeing God's glory where the ground is level reminds me of central Kansas. This Great Plains state stretches for "miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles," as my mom aptly describes it. There's nothing quite like driving along for miles on curveless stretches of smooth highway and seeing vast expanses of wheat fields and sunflowers waving golden arms of praise under a great blue Kansas sky. When you see the horizon where azure meets amber, it's like heaven's and earth's hands coming together in a clap of praise. You know that "all flesh" at that moment--other drivers heading north, east, south, or west in central Kansas are beholding this scene together.
That's glorious.
Isaiah 40:3...I'm noticing punctuation. I've always thought this verse said, "A voice cries in the wilderness, ''Prepare the way of the Lord.'"
But it doesn't. It says: "A voice cries: In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord; make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be lifted up, every mountain and hill be made low, the uneven ground shall become level, and the rough places a plain. And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and then all flesh shall see it together, for the mouth of the Lord has spoken "
[Next to each phrase I drew a little diagram. Beside "Every valley shall be lifted up" I put a big "U" followed by a right arrow and then a straight horizontal line. The next phrase was depicted by a single hump followed by the arrow and horizontal line. The "uneven ground" I drew was a squiggly line. Finally, the "rough places a plain" was pictured as a low zigzag line. }
Quoting again from my journal, "To me this speaks of choice. Make the decision that you will actively pursue God's glory. Don't equate your emotional state or circumstances with His glory. Whether you're high on the mountain (typically associated with glory) or in the valley (depressed) or up and down regularly (jagged places), or in the wilderness (feeling directionless or confused) decide to make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
How? Making a straight highway involves tools and effort. Read accounts of God's faithfulness to His people. Genesis and Exodus are replete with stories of highs and lows, Sinais, Ararats, and Egypt. Keep your shoes on. Walk with the peace of the gospel ready to share it peacefully. Your emotional highs, lows, and "jaggedness" should not be allowed to determine your peace. One of Satan's schemes is to tell you that if you're feeling low and rough, God's peace is meaningless. that peace can only be found on the mountaintop and let's face it, how often do we have those peak times?"
It's a lie. Worshiping God can lift your spirits high and yet when you're seeing His holiness and being convicted, you can be flattened in a moment. So the combo of high worship and humbling realization makes for a level ground where you see God's glory. It's not one or the other. It's simply a straight highway in the making.
Seeing God's glory where the ground is level reminds me of central Kansas. This Great Plains state stretches for "miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles," as my mom aptly describes it. There's nothing quite like driving along for miles on curveless stretches of smooth highway and seeing vast expanses of wheat fields and sunflowers waving golden arms of praise under a great blue Kansas sky. When you see the horizon where azure meets amber, it's like heaven's and earth's hands coming together in a clap of praise. You know that "all flesh" at that moment--other drivers heading north, east, south, or west in central Kansas are beholding this scene together.
That's glorious.
4 Comments:
"Make the decision that you will actively pursue God's glory."
I like that!
Southwest Florida could also serve as a picture of the level ground.
I read this from Spurgeon this morning and was encouraged by it. It falls in line with what you shared here:
"Settle this in your heart. 'Whether I am up or down, the Lord Jesus is the same. Whether I sing or sigh, the promise is true and the Promiser is faithful.'"
Zoanna and Briana, thank you for what you shared this morning. It's really what I needed to hear. I guess I'm in the midst of "jaggedness" and yesterday was a most "jagged" day. I see the Lord giving me peace despite trying circumstances, and see that fruit in my life. However, it was good to have the choice that I have emphasized again today.
"To me this speaks of choice. Make the decision that you will actively pursue God's glory. Don't equate your emotional state or circumstances with His glory." That's great, thank you!
Zoanna,
How true is what you shared. I remember when Scott died one of the things Mike and I did together and found peace in was worshipping God. Still to this day it brings us comfort and peace when the enemy wants us to stay in the valley of greif and loss. Thanks for sharing this.
Donna Bishop
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home