Simple Green and a Flash of Red
I was in a real cleaning mood yesterday and didn't wanna bust it, even though I discovered I was totally out of floor cleaner for my kitchen. I know you can just damp mop the hardwood laminate with a bit of water, but I love the smell of clean, not just the look.
So instead of riding up to the store in my work clothes (need I describe?) I went to my cup-o-sugar neighbor, Merideth.
"Mer, I am all out of floor cleaner. Do you have any Lysol or Pine Sol or laminate floor cleaner? I just need a little. "
She said they use Simple Green for everything. I had never tried it before, but now I just love it. It smells clean and fresh, but it's not piney or lemony, even though I love those scents, too.
I was thinking of my friend, Briana, when I was mopping my floor. She really gets a bang out of this particular chore. I said a prayer for her that she would be enjoying her housework that same afternoon.
Armed with a brand new tool for the job, I was ready to attack and shine. This $10 mop from Walmart has a levered handle and a dual head. One side of the head has spongey sides (great for running along fronts of baseboards and underside of cabinets and fridge) and the other side has stiff red bristles. There's something about red. It's my new favorite color, but I digress...
Granted, this post is not exactly the epitome of insight or anything, but I figure we all live "at the corner of Mundane and Grace," as Chris Fabry calls real life. My small thrills often include the scent of Lysol (and, in fact, my hubby likes it better than most perfume. When other women are wearing Eau de Toilette, I am simply wearing a splash of Eau de Toilet, and my honey couldn't be happier. Then again, he put himself through college as a nursing home janitor and for some reason, still loves the cleaning solutions.)
So, what cleaning product do YOU rave about? Also, got any cleaning tricks or tips that make the mundane more full of grace?
So instead of riding up to the store in my work clothes (need I describe?) I went to my cup-o-sugar neighbor, Merideth.
"Mer, I am all out of floor cleaner. Do you have any Lysol or Pine Sol or laminate floor cleaner? I just need a little. "
She said they use Simple Green for everything. I had never tried it before, but now I just love it. It smells clean and fresh, but it's not piney or lemony, even though I love those scents, too.
I was thinking of my friend, Briana, when I was mopping my floor. She really gets a bang out of this particular chore. I said a prayer for her that she would be enjoying her housework that same afternoon.
Armed with a brand new tool for the job, I was ready to attack and shine. This $10 mop from Walmart has a levered handle and a dual head. One side of the head has spongey sides (great for running along fronts of baseboards and underside of cabinets and fridge) and the other side has stiff red bristles. There's something about red. It's my new favorite color, but I digress...
Granted, this post is not exactly the epitome of insight or anything, but I figure we all live "at the corner of Mundane and Grace," as Chris Fabry calls real life. My small thrills often include the scent of Lysol (and, in fact, my hubby likes it better than most perfume. When other women are wearing Eau de Toilette, I am simply wearing a splash of Eau de Toilet, and my honey couldn't be happier. Then again, he put himself through college as a nursing home janitor and for some reason, still loves the cleaning solutions.)
So, what cleaning product do YOU rave about? Also, got any cleaning tricks or tips that make the mundane more full of grace?

13 Comments:
Thanks for praying for me, Zo.
While Lawrence's current long hours afford me more time for housecleaning, they don't afford me more energy. I find I'm doing less and less housework lately.
I know this is going to puzzle a few of your blog readers, but a few weeks ago after one of Judah's laser treatments, I actually found myself daydreaming about having an entire day at home without the boys to spend cleaning from top to bottom.
Bri, I can understand that daydream. Mabye come summer when school's out, we could take your boys for the day while you make your dream come true?
I rave about how well my wife cleans the house, no matter what cleaner she uses. That way I don't have to do it!
I appreciate your thoughtfulness, Zo, and follow through, as you have blessed me in the past. Letting you in on my daydream wasn't a solicitation, though I would probably take you up on it. :)
Ah! I love Pledge's orange scented swiffer cloths. :D
Bleach!
My husband!
Since the first of the year (with the exception of last week when he was sick), he has mopped the wood floors every Tuesday night. He helped me one night last fall before a caregroup and said that it was too much work for me and that he should do it. Yes, my mouth might have dropped open more than slightly. (He's physically stronger than I am, working in construction and it seems that I really have to work at the grunge that accumulates. I was only doing it once in a very great while.)
Not only has the floor been pretty clean all week long, it has really helped my motivation to keep the rest of the house clean.
coffee filters. they are amazing on mirrors, glass, and chrome (leave no fuzzies). I keep a little stack in every bathroom.
Bri, I know you weren't soliciting help. I just wanted to give you something to look forward to.
Joe, you're too funny. How does Bonnie put up with you?
Nicole: Invite me over after you've used the orange swiffer cloths again. I love that smell!
Danielle-bleach is amazing stuff.
I love doing white whites so that my basement smells like a hotel swimming pool room.
Fishmama: you are funny, too. My husband is actually a better housecleaner than I am. He is not only stronger, he is more efficient. Guess all those years as a janitor in college paid off.
Laurie: I've read how well coffee filters clean glass and mirrors, but I keep forgetting to try them. Glad for the suggestion to put them in each bathroom.
My favorite (and this isn't really a cleaner) is carpet powder. And to get to vacuum after it sets in a little is the best!
Sarah, you're such a wonderful, helpful daughter. What would I ever do without you?
Simple Green got purple bird poop out of my friend, Shelley's, WEDDING dress. I missed the whole incident because I was in Atlanta in another wedding that day.....but they don't usually lie about things like that. :)
Go to knoxvillehills.blogspot.com and ask her about it.
Suzanne, that is totally gross and utterly hysterical. One time I was standing under a tree in my yard, meeting a new neighbor. In mid-sentence, I was pooped on by a bird. Half on my glasses, half on my cheek. There really is no genteel way to excuse oneself when that happens.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home