"I Go and Prepare a Place for You"
Sweet thoughts swirled in my head before my eyes opened this morning. I was already meditating on the words of John 14:2-3: "In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also."
When I opened my eyes I saw a beautiful scene outside my bedroom windows. Trees so tall I can't see the tops, in colors of burnt orange, deep cranberry, emerald green and glowing gold. "Lord, these colors are too wonderful."
I started thinking about what my room, my mansion, in heaven is going to look like. Jesus is preparing it for me even now. Like the groom in Bible times who would tell his betrothed, "I am coming back. Be prepared. Meanwhile, I am building a place at my dad's house that you will absolutely love, Honey." He is planning my space for me! And yours for you! (If you are His.)
I know that when we are having guests whose tastes I know well, I try to prepare the room for their comfort and pleasure. My friend, Barb, loves antiques, quilts, dolls and animals. She has only boys, so a treat for her is to stay in Sarah's feminine room. Sarah has an antique double sleigh bed topped with a floral blue-and-white quilt. Baby dolls and a stuffie menagerie from childhood sit nearby on the wooden toybox under the east-facing, lace-topped windows. Molly, our Golden Retriever, loves to sleep in Sarah's room, and Barb loves Molly. Barb likes a night light and a fan, so both are on when she comes to visit. She has thanked Sarah several times for giving up her room for her. She has thanked me for giving her the brightest and girliest room in the house.
When Paul's brother and sister-in-law come for a visit, I give them Ben's room. He has a queen size bed to fit his 6'6" frame. Tony is almost as tall, and he also appreciates the Ravens theme going on. Pat, an avid reader, loves to curl up in his bedroom with the book she started on the road, or one that I've left on the bedside table for her to "find." She appreciates the room because it's farthest from the family noise--and has a glorious wake-up view to the woods behind the house.
So what things do I imagine are in my home in heaven? I think it'll take me a series of blogs to describe my imaginings. But first...
Books. There will be no more self-help books! No "how to!" books because we will have perfect knowledge! But poetry books, yes! I would love to read a book that has text written in many languages under one cover. Wouldn't it be cool to start out reading in French, then fluidly switch to Swahili and in the next line German, and then Greek and Hebrew and Russian? I'd understand all the idioms, be able to pronounce every word and syllable without stumbling or stopping to use a dictionary. Grammar, spelling, and punctuation would be impeccable. No red pens in heaven. (But there would be other colored pens, of course, in my room, because I have a penchant for them.) Would there be cookbooks with glossy pictures? Scrapbooks? Of course the Book of Life would be front and center, listing all the names God had written in it from eternity past. Are names listed by date of entry into heaven? By DOB or DORB (date of rebirth? Will DORBells ring?) In the Book of Life, are names listed alphabetically? Will the Zubrowskis still be right before the Zylkas in the Book of Life? Is my name under my married name or my maiden name, the name I had when Christ called me to follow Him? Will we not be called by our earthly names, but by the meaning Christ has ascribed to our essence? My husband thinks the Lord calls him "Steadfast."
Tomorrow...animals in heaven.
When I opened my eyes I saw a beautiful scene outside my bedroom windows. Trees so tall I can't see the tops, in colors of burnt orange, deep cranberry, emerald green and glowing gold. "Lord, these colors are too wonderful."
I started thinking about what my room, my mansion, in heaven is going to look like. Jesus is preparing it for me even now. Like the groom in Bible times who would tell his betrothed, "I am coming back. Be prepared. Meanwhile, I am building a place at my dad's house that you will absolutely love, Honey." He is planning my space for me! And yours for you! (If you are His.)
I know that when we are having guests whose tastes I know well, I try to prepare the room for their comfort and pleasure. My friend, Barb, loves antiques, quilts, dolls and animals. She has only boys, so a treat for her is to stay in Sarah's feminine room. Sarah has an antique double sleigh bed topped with a floral blue-and-white quilt. Baby dolls and a stuffie menagerie from childhood sit nearby on the wooden toybox under the east-facing, lace-topped windows. Molly, our Golden Retriever, loves to sleep in Sarah's room, and Barb loves Molly. Barb likes a night light and a fan, so both are on when she comes to visit. She has thanked Sarah several times for giving up her room for her. She has thanked me for giving her the brightest and girliest room in the house.
When Paul's brother and sister-in-law come for a visit, I give them Ben's room. He has a queen size bed to fit his 6'6" frame. Tony is almost as tall, and he also appreciates the Ravens theme going on. Pat, an avid reader, loves to curl up in his bedroom with the book she started on the road, or one that I've left on the bedside table for her to "find." She appreciates the room because it's farthest from the family noise--and has a glorious wake-up view to the woods behind the house.
So what things do I imagine are in my home in heaven? I think it'll take me a series of blogs to describe my imaginings. But first...
Books. There will be no more self-help books! No "how to!" books because we will have perfect knowledge! But poetry books, yes! I would love to read a book that has text written in many languages under one cover. Wouldn't it be cool to start out reading in French, then fluidly switch to Swahili and in the next line German, and then Greek and Hebrew and Russian? I'd understand all the idioms, be able to pronounce every word and syllable without stumbling or stopping to use a dictionary. Grammar, spelling, and punctuation would be impeccable. No red pens in heaven. (But there would be other colored pens, of course, in my room, because I have a penchant for them.) Would there be cookbooks with glossy pictures? Scrapbooks? Of course the Book of Life would be front and center, listing all the names God had written in it from eternity past. Are names listed by date of entry into heaven? By DOB or DORB (date of rebirth? Will DORBells ring?) In the Book of Life, are names listed alphabetically? Will the Zubrowskis still be right before the Zylkas in the Book of Life? Is my name under my married name or my maiden name, the name I had when Christ called me to follow Him? Will we not be called by our earthly names, but by the meaning Christ has ascribed to our essence? My husband thinks the Lord calls him "Steadfast."
Tomorrow...animals in heaven.
10 Comments:
Yeh, I know, I should have made that clear that I saw who wrote the post. He's so right about women and the affirmation thing,:)
Hey! That was good, regardless of who wrote it!
I can hardly wait to see my "place."
And how I look forward for the definitive word on animals in Heaven!
Dear Zoanna,
I am not sure if I am writing in the right blog.Anyways that is not important. I wanted to say thank you so much for praying for my husband. His name is Jey. I too am a Christian and if not for Christ's presence which I always feel next to me I would have gone bonkers.
I was born in a Christian family. I don't know what it is about Indians but we always tend to do what our grand fathers or mothers did. So yes you can guess my great grand father was a priest, my grand father was a priest and so is my brother. I am glad it is so.
My husband is already feeling better today.
Thanks for the comments about my doll. We had to buy a kit from the lady who sponsers this challenge. The kit Comprises of some fabrics and trims. We are supposed to use everything in the kit and anything else we would like to use we cannot choose but get a kit in an envolope so that no body can look at it before had. We have to buy this from Pamala Aramas. So the dress and eveything is made of things I got in the kit
Ok I will send you some scraps. How big should they be.Could you please give me your address to send to.
Thanks
hugs
I left a message in your guest book. Please email me and I will reply with my address
I am very interested in hearing your testimony of how you became a Christian. Please feel free to share either here or by email. If you do so here, others will have the opportunity to be encouraged by your story.
I prefer scraps to be at least 18x18". A tad bigger is great because I want to save a scrap of each kind for a Katrina memory quilt for myself. I like a variety of men's women's and children's fabrics that are washable and won't shrink or bleed. We make no two alike, even if some fabrics used in multiple bags are the same.
(We'll piece them or make a different back or add a pocket or change the drawstring, etc.)
Thank you so much in advance. You are very kind to send scraps to a total stranger.
BTW, I want to tell you up front that I am not 100% sure that we will still be sending bags to Texas after December. Would you have a problem if I made them to hand out to other needy people? I am still praying about the direction of future bags.
I'm not sure why books in heaven never crossed my mind while I wrote my essay, but it's cool to think about being a polyglot in heaven.
Polyglot! You learned something in vocab class last year, huh? Way to go! (For those who don't know, a polyglot is one who speaks many languages.)
Hi Zoanna,
Sorry it took me so long to reply with hubby in hospital most of my time was being taken up between work and travelling to hospital and home.
When did I become a Christian? Well that is a bit hard to answer but I know for sure it was not sudden it was rather gradual. I grew in a Christian back ground. We were taught to pray and read the bible before going to bed and first thing in the morning when we woke up as kids. We went to church regularly and we did enjoy it all. As I grew up praying and reading the bible became more meaningful although as kids it was just a thing to be done.
I also started to realise that there seemed to be someone guiding me or making lifes trials easier to bear and this I soon realised was God's presence and his guiding hand. A lot of times I may stray but I know I couldn't stay away from him for long and cannot till today go to bed without talking to him that is when I can feel his presence so close to me to sooth and comfort me.
His Presence is indeed the most comforting thing in the world. Actually because the Comforter is a Person, not a thing! When did you come to realize your need for a Savior, Jesus Christ? Was that gradual also, or a sudden moment?
I love to ask people about their experiences with the Living, Holy God!
Hi Zoanna, apologies for not having got back to you, Jam-mam passed on your message.
I solved the donation dilemma by getting my daughter to send a cheque direct to Barush HaShem, and I paid her through Paypal. I'd loved to have either made bags for you, or sponsored one, but just a bit difficult from here in the time frame.
Saw all the bags that have been made - they look great, and so colourful. The recipients will truly love them.
Blessings for all your heartfelt work.
Thank you for reminding me to look heavenward today, Zoanna, with expectation and joy!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home