Friday, May 27, 2005

High-Pitched Holiness

Joel is the youngest of four. But there's a noticeable decade's gap between him and my third child. So he is constantly observing the lives of high schoolers around here. His two brothers have deep voices. His sister's and mom's are, thankfully, higher.

At church we sing "You are Holy" which has a part that echoes. The men sing first, and the women echo. The other night my husband took out his Taylor guitar, gathered the family for some worship time, and spread two songsheets out in front of him to refer to the chords of songs he'd chosen. One of those songs was "You are Holy."

Joel LOVES to "be a boy" and make his brothers "be de guhls." He forces his chin onto his chest and sings deeply, "You are ho-wee" and orders them to "sing high, 'you are ho-wee'".

Ben and Stephen complied. You should have heard those falsettos. I was sure I was hearing Michael Jackson and Mike Tyson singing a duet.

(If they read this post, it might be the LAST time I hear Mike and Mike! Sorry, guys, you all amuse me, no matter your shoe size.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

I love that your family worships together. We try it, but it usually ends in someone getting spanked. I have said to Jason, "Do other peoples' family worship times look like this?" (boys wrestling, Maggie finding a microphone doing some shaking of the hip thing).

Sat May 28, 05:07:00 AM  
Blogger Zoanna said...

I bed you not to be misled. We do not, unfortunately, as yet have a regular worship time. Paul tends to realize we need it more when things are badly rather than well.
I left out much of that story--the olders were insisting Joel needed a spanking, one boy refused to sing, a girl (guess which one) sang too softly and said I always criticize if she hits a sour note (I hope she's exaggerating) and another child was insisting the song was too high to sing "like a normal person." The Enemy absolutely hates these worship sessions, can't you tell? But it was cute because Joel took out Paul's acoustic guitar, asked for his own copies of the music, spread them next to the guitar which was lying in front of him on the floor. He strummed the same notes over and over, yet sang in perfect pitch, echoes and all!

Sat May 28, 08:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home