Thursday, July 28, 2005

A Confession Turns Comical (sort of)

Yesterday Sarah and I went to Briana's to watch her twin boys who are nearly one year old. With Bri's permissioin, we took Joel along since he loves babies, too. They had a great time with one another.

While Sarah was feeding them, Joel was banging an empty paper towel roll on the table, which made Judah and Tucker giggle and giggle. Or Joel would talk into in a deep
tone down the tube, "Hulloooo, Judah. Hullooooo, Tuckuh." They'd giggle more. He'd do it again. I was snapping pictures of them with my instant camera. Joel also rolled a red ball back and forth on the floor with them, and built Duplo towers and did all that big-boy stuff that little boys like. Joel really got a kick out of being the big boy, for a change.

He also wanted to sleep in one of their cribs. I said no. Friendship has its limits.

Joel used their baby monitor in the kitchen to act out an escape scene from "McGee and Me" just after I laid the boys down upstairs. I heard this from behind the kitchen island:

"Roger? Do you copy? You gotta go to sleep? Okay. Bye." He was happy to play with their toys without them.

Then it was time to leave. Thankfully, the twins hadn't quite fallen asleep yet when Sarah made a grand announcement to Joel that it their mommy was home and it was time to go home.

Well, that was it. He made a bee line up the stairs. I flew up after him, anticipating he'd slam a door shut and ruin all our efforts of blessing Bri with a quiet afternoon. My running made him scream, which in turn unsettled the boys who weren't quite in LaLa Land. I capped Joel's mouth with my hand, to little avail. I was too angry to spank him. I wasn't sure neighbors would approve if I spanked him in the van, either. He fell asleep in three minutes on the ride home. When he awoke, we had a serious talk about his misbehavior. I thought that'd be the end of it.

This morning he and I were cuddling. I asked him if he had fun with Judah and Tucker.

He said softly, "yeah."

I asked what was wrong.

"I was bad yessaday."

"No, you weren't bad," I said, about to explain he had done a bad thing, which is different. But he interrupted.

"A pain in de butt?" I couldn't help but chuckle. It took me off-guard. I have heard my teens talk like that and have reprimanded them for it.

"No, not a pain in the butt. And don't talk like that."

"What, then? I wasn't bad?"

"You were disobedient when it was time to leave," I said.

"Disobedient," he repeated. I then told him that next time we tell him it's time to leave, he must obey or he wouldn't get to go fun places very often. He agreed he'd rather put shoes on and leave than to miss a good time altogether.

Ah, you young moms who sometimes think it'd be so nice to have built-in sitters, beware. They come with mouths.

2 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

Awww, what a cutie your Joel is, even when he's running away from you! I remember I was at my best friends house (I must have been 5 or younger) and we'd been swimming in their pool. My mom had gotten me out and all dressed in a pretty dress because we had to leave their house and go to a doctor appointment. I decided I didn't want to go, and ran away from my mom after she'd just finished fixing my hair and leaped back into the pool, clothes and all! Kids can be good at running away!

Fri Jul 29, 02:41:00 PM  
Blogger Zoanna said...

What did your mom do to you then? Yikes, you did a horrid thing, child!

Fri Jul 29, 06:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home