Praying through the Laundry Pile, Part 2


I'm glad my special routine of praying while folding the clean clothes encouraged so many of you.
I write this post in hopes of spurring us to pray for people outside our four walls. I took a picture of my towels as I deliberately arranged them for a photo shoot for this post. (A bit corny, but I hope the visual aid helps.)
Rather than bemoan my unmatched towels, I have decided to thank God for the nearly 20 years of marriage and motherhood which account for my rainbow collection:).
I was folding my towels and stacking them on top of the ironing board, which just happened to still have a bottle of spray starch on it. When I looked at the brand, I thought, "God, this is a perfect way to start praying! Because I've placed my faith in Jesus--whose death on the cross paid for my sins in full--I stand FAULTLESS before You. I can bring my petitions to you with thanksgiving.
Left stack (from the bottom up)--
Red towel: reminds me of Jesus. So I pray, "Father, I have full confidence that You hear me because You always listen to Jesus, and He is my High Priest, who always lives to make intercession for me!"
Purple: King Jesus. "You are my King, clothed in majesty. Your kingdom is not of this earth. It is in me and in all who name You as their Savior. Not only are you a powerful King, You are a compassionate Redeemer. You've redeemed my life from the pit....You've redeemed a zillion mistakes I've made, and made something good result..."
Dark Green: Growth and life. "You, Father, have begun a good work in me. I might not see the forest for the proverbial trees, but I thank You that You have caused my roots to go down deep. You put me in a Christian home before I was born and gave me excellent teachers in my youth and in my adult life. You have made scripture alive to me....."
Brown: earth, my physical home. "I do love Your creation, God. I love the soil and the trees and the sky and songbirds and my dog and wild horses. I love the purple salvia, the yellow petunias the kids gave me for Mother's Day, and I can hardly wait to plant a new crop of herbs on the deck...."
(Second stack, from the bottom up)

Red: again, a reminder to start with Jesus. I want my prayers God-centered, not me-centered.
This stack represents institutions, namely church and family (not just my family).
Light green: the church. My church specifically and the church, the Bride of Christ, generally,. "Father, thank You for putting us in a church where Your Name is exalted not just every Sunday, but every day. I have only to check the blogs of Chesapeakers or talk to my kids about who they prayed for at school today....Give Jim and Daryl comfort and strength, peace, wisdom as they care for Mrs. Cannon intensely right now. Thank you for Jason and Laurie's love , for the way they make themselves available, for their counsel.....Thank you for giving us a youth pastor....Forgive me for forgetting Christians in chains across the earth, those who are being tortured and bludgeoned for naming the name of Christ. ANd not just abroad, but Lord, so many students are being teased, ridiculed, slandered, or silenced for doing the same here right here in America. Satan wants to squash You out of our culture. The Muslims don't bother him; Mohammed's kingdom won't live forever. Buddha doesn't threaten him; his heel never bruised Satan's heel. Lord Jesus, come quickly!
Tan: (safe, masculine color) "Give husbands more love for their wives and children. Put Your Word in their hearts. Guard my Paul against greed, thank You for his purity, his leadership. I am privileged to be his wife. For the fathers in grief right now...Sal...oh, Lord, my heart breaks when I remember his face and how he sobbed at Beachmont. Fill him with comfort. Let Paul continue to be a source of comfort to him. Keep other godly men near him, don't let Sal be tempted to beat himself up over Tim's death.
Pink: "Mothers, too, Lord. Sandy especially right now. Pour over her heart a river of love, may she know You collect all her tears in a bottle. Pour that bottle of tears over her and tell her You are more sad than anyone because of this, but tell her nothing is wasted. She's been such an encourager to me at my lowest points, and has rejoiced with me at my highest. Let me be there for her.
White: children. "Lord, I absolutely love Your design. Children make me smile, laugh, cry, wonder. My own are precious to me, all are precious to You. NO two alike, even identical twins.
Make me more childlike in my faith; I want to accept without question that You love me NO MATTER WHAT I DO. That You will catch me when I fall. That You will feed me. You will bathe my spirit and cleanse me of my sins when I confess them...You are a faithful Forgiver. My sins...oh the bliss of this glorious thought--my sins, not in part, but the whole, have been nailed to the cross and I bear them no more, praise the Lord, praise the Lord, oh my soul!"
Next stack....later! Time to put all these towels away.

1 Comments:
What an interesting post! Very creative!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home