Wednesday, September 07, 2005

27-Thing Fling

I think this idea came from Flylady.com. If not, I apologize to the person who inspired me anyway.

I'm a keeper. No, I don't just mean I think I should be kept (in a cage or otherwise). I mean I have a tendency to hold on to stuff. But every now and then I get sick and tired of rearranging the stuff or taking care of it, or tired of the guilt from neglecting it.

At any rate, I stumbled upon a concept for decluttering. I'm not sure this is the title, but the concept is the 27-thing fling.

Basically, the idea is to throw out, give away, or sell 27 things in your house on any given day. Trash counts. So a couple Thursdays ago, I took the 7 trash cans from around the house, thus reducing the number to 20. Then I headed for The Back of the Basement, Part I. Down there I took a second trash bag and went around finding more stuff to trash--broken toys, puzzles with missing pieces, clothes with holes, picture frames with the back hangy thing missing, college admissions paperwork. (Never know when you're gonna need that.)
I found 2 bags' worth of that kind of junk. Bad junk.

Next, I gathered a couple of boxes for give-away stuff. Labeled it "Give away" (for lack of a wittier label). Filled it with baby toys that I am not going to save for grandkids (because I figure Sarah's Daycare will be overflowing), and I added a 1970s black-and-white landscaping book (go figure), and some kids' coats in decent shape that have been outgrown. Good junk.

Funny thing is, I started on the count which was probably well over 27 things total. In the first 13 minutes. But I kept going till I couldn't make good decisions anymore.

I think that was the idea.

A couple nights ago Sarah got me doing the same thing in the kitchen. We just did the upper cabinets. Out with the extra wine glasses, cheapo muffin tin, mismatched plates, small mugs you can't get your fingers in unless you're three. You know the stuff I mean. Regular junk.

I filled a box with 27 things, more or less. (More like more.) That felt good.

This weekend I guess we'll be digging through the lower cabinets. Anybody need a spare blender lid? Not the cap to keep the contents from spinning up onto your walls at 87 miles per hour-- just the lid.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi..I found your site from my husbands site.he has your link on his page. One of the rules we have had is,if you haven't use something for a year,then get rid of it. Great Post. God Bless You.

Wed Sep 07, 06:43:00 PM  
Blogger Briana Almengor said...

I'm a 'trasher' not a keeper. So, if anyone is really tied to their junk, I mean stuff, invite me over. I'll be glad to throw it away for you! :)

Thu Sep 08, 06:00:00 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

My wife (Bonnie - above)doesn't understand our rules. Here is how they really work:

Rule 1: If you have not used something in two years, throw it out.

Rule 2: Ignore rule 1

Thu Sep 08, 09:17:00 AM  
Blogger Zoanna said...

Bonnie and Joe-could you tell me how many years you've disagreed on the rules? hehehe
My husband and I disagree on the terms "valuable," "sentimental,"
"vintage," and "old.' For example, his vinyl LPs (circa 1977) are vintage, in his dictionary. In mine, they're old.
That's just the beginning. PS We've been happily married every other year for the past 19. :)

Thu Sep 08, 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger Zoanna said...

By the way, Bonnie, I read your profile and am curious about your twin son who died at birth. Would you mind sharing how it happened and the effect on you and your family, esp. your other twin son?
I've had two losses of babies, but both before they were born. That was hard enough.

Thu Sep 08, 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

We don't disagree on the rules.

She agrees that I should abide by her rules, the first of which is that I can pretend to make as many rules as I like.

Cluck, cluck, cluck.

Thu Sep 08, 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Joe: Your a silly dude.Your Wife. I love you. God Bless You.
__________________________________
Zoanna: Joe and I have been married 12 years,and very rarely we disagree on things. I just forget the rules of "HIS" games.LOL
___________________________________
Zoanna: I can email you my answer to your question if you like.

Thu Sep 08, 03:06:00 PM  
Blogger saurav said...

great post...

Mon Sep 12, 04:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home