Stuffed animals and toiletries needed
Do you have stuffed animals that you would like to adopt OUT? i need at least 100 stuffed animals and small, lightweight toys over teh next several weeks.
Our Katrina Kits go to kids and adults in a shelter in San Anotonio. Everyone gets a unique, handsewn bag (about 18x18 for adults and 14x14 for kids), a toothbrush, toothbrush holder, toothpaste, hair comb, soap and washcloth. The adults and teens get deodorant. The kids get a surprise toy or stuffie in their bag. I'm wanting a variety of stuffed animals less that 10 inches tall, freshly laundered, and in good condition.
Yard sales are a great place to ask for them.
My goal is to send 100 toiletry bags by Oct 26. So far we're on the way to 35 by Tuesday.
Would you be willing to donate any of these things (inlcuding scrap fabric) ASAP? I am low on masculine and juvenile print fabrics. Would you like to sew some bags?
If you would like a tax deductible receipt, I can furnish you with one from Baruch HaShem, where they are going in TX.
Thank you!
Our Katrina Kits go to kids and adults in a shelter in San Anotonio. Everyone gets a unique, handsewn bag (about 18x18 for adults and 14x14 for kids), a toothbrush, toothbrush holder, toothpaste, hair comb, soap and washcloth. The adults and teens get deodorant. The kids get a surprise toy or stuffie in their bag. I'm wanting a variety of stuffed animals less that 10 inches tall, freshly laundered, and in good condition.
Yard sales are a great place to ask for them.
My goal is to send 100 toiletry bags by Oct 26. So far we're on the way to 35 by Tuesday.
Would you be willing to donate any of these things (inlcuding scrap fabric) ASAP? I am low on masculine and juvenile print fabrics. Would you like to sew some bags?
If you would like a tax deductible receipt, I can furnish you with one from Baruch HaShem, where they are going in TX.
Thank you!
26 Comments:
Dear Zoanna, I am not forgetting you!
Life is simply very hectic at the moment. I am thinking about your bags and I definitely want to do what I can. I'll email you shortly!
Hugs
Isabelle in France
I have lots of stuffed animals but they are stored in our musty basement, you say freshly laundered, can they be washed? Any suggestions? Maybe just putting them in the dryer with a good smelling dryer sheet? Let me know what you think.
Zo,
I know I have some stuffed animals that the boys don't need; i'll get them to you asap. I'll see if I have any toiletries hanging around, too...
Yes, Karen, "freshly laundered," to my way of thinking, means washed. Not 3 years ago, but in the past week, I'd say. (Someone gave me fabric and said, "it's clean." Yeh, smelled like nicotine was used as a rinse aid...3 years ago). Also, ladies, while I have you here,in case you have any bras you are ready to retire, we'll take them, too. Just make sure they've got dignity left. Not hitchhiker bras. We all know what THEY are; they're the ones that make you ask doubtfully, going over your um...shoulders...can I (still) get a lift?
Also, thanks, Bri. Any stuffed animal that's less less than ten inches head to tail is good. We are in real need of deodorant for these kits. And if you get combs, make sure they're wide-toothed. About 95% of the recipients are black.
Thanks, Isabelle, I got your delightful email. How cool is that that our project will go international!!!! God bless you for serving this way!!!!! I wrote you back with the specs. Thanks again. I'm tickled.
Zoanna
In response to Karen, yes you CAN wash soft toys in the washer. We had a fire in our house 3 years ago and had to wash EVERYTHING that could be rescued. We washed all the soft toys in the washing machine and they came out like new. One or two a bit "crushed" but out of 30 toys that wasn't much (and they regained their original shape with a bit of help ;o))
Hugs
Isabelle in France
Karen,
I'm sorry,my answer sounded a bit snippy, didn't it. I was thinking you were teasing me about my use of the phrase "freshly laundered" instead of "washed." Please forgive me.
I've found the best way to wash (or launder :) them en masse in to toss a bunch of them in with some light colored towels or lightweight clothes. Having them in the washing machine provides that scrubbing action a bit better than if the animals are in there alone. (Plus the animals don't fight when they smell the human scent nearby, cuz any uproar could mean a shotgun is agitating in their vicinity as well).
I have used both the delicate and permanent press cycles. Both are easy on our stuffed friends.
A dryer sheet works great,or liquid fabric softener in the washer. However you do your clothes.
I'll be going door to door with my kids asking neighbors to sponsor a bag. The cost of toiletries to fill the bags adds up. I'm asking a minimum donation of $5 or if people could donate a bar of soap and/or a new stick of deodorant, or a toothbrush, great! The women's bags get more stuff, men get less, kids get a bit less but also a toy or stuffie. When the needs at Barch HaSHem have been met, there are 25.000 more people at the Kelly air base in a hangar.
Woopsie daisy.That is Baruch, not Barch.
I would like to send you some toys - our three kids have more than they need and I'm an old hand at washing them up like new. However, where should I mail them?
(PS: Found out about your wonderful action over Isabelle's blog. I'd like to send some stitched bags, but I don't think I'll have enough time by your 26 Oct deadline. Sorry!)
Hi Zoanna;
I am willing to help out with this - it is a great idea. We have a bunch of stuffed animals, soap, toothbrushes (yeah, we tend to stock up on weird things) that we can donate. I also can sew up bags for you, if you wish. Just send me the details, and I will get started. My email is public in my profile.
Barbara, I'm here in the States (Maryland, to be exact) giggling over yet another international contact eager to help Katrina victims.
You may send your toys directly to the congregation where I send mine:
Rabbi Roi Garcia
Baruch HaShem Congregation
8308 Fredericksburg Rd.
San Antonio, TX 78229 USA
It's cheaper for me to use FedEx than the postal service. But you'll have to check out the international rates,as I have no idea.
As far as stitching, I think this sewing project will go well past tehhe 100 by Oct. 26 projection.
I have friends with 1`0 year old triplets who have been "hooked" on sewing--they cut, pin, and sew up the sides, while their mom, Donna, sews the top. They all run drawstring.
I would keep the toys small and lightweight both for economy and portability in the kits, and no toys that could pose a choking hazard of course.
In a selfish way I would love to see you send me a few sewn bags because I'd love to see and feel Dutch fabric. I am going to keep a 2 inch square of each fabric used. With it I plan to make a few double page spread borders in my scrapbook. If you could send a pic of yourself and family sending toys or making bags, I'll print it and put it in my scrapbook, too.
We are making not just bags, but history!
Hi Zoanna,
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. As you probably saw from my comment on Isabelle's blog, I'd be happy to sew a couple of bags. I have some striped and checkered fabrics which would be masculine enough, if that would help.
I'll email you privately about the details :)
Karenv, that's wonderful news. I quickly looked at your blog to see if you're in the states or in Europe. I'm thinking France, but I don't know for sure. The reason I ask is that I sure hope the cost of shipping isn't terribly prohibitive. Isabelle said she's going to cut her normal monthly spending so she can put it toward postage. That's a loving sacrifice!
Thanks for your offer. I'll be happy to see your finished masculine bags, or any for that matter!
I'm in the UK Zoanna :) I sent you an email - did you get it OK?
I've just seen Isabelle's great tutorial so I should be good to go this weekend.
Zoanna:
I'm in Ontario, Canada and I can send you right away some masculine fabrics for the bags. Please contact me with your mailing address if you would like me to do this and I can get them off to you tomorrow.
Léonie
Hi again, Zoanna. I acutally order my stitching supplies from the US, so you'd be disappointed in the 'feel' of my fabrics! ha ha! There just isn't any selection available here where I live, and with the 2 toddlers, it's a nightmare trying to search out and visit needlwork shops elsewhere!
Mailing the toys now - a bit late, but all three kids came down ill last week. Ugh!
Hi Zoanna, Do you still need drawstring bags made? I'm in Australia, and would like to help. I'd love to do some of the sewing, but on a practical level, it would be more dollar conscious to order some fabric to be sent to you to sew, if you have the time.
My daughter's in Ohio, she's a homeschooling mum too, and might be happy to help, even if only to organise the fabric for me. She sews too, but I'd hate to commit for her when I know she's pretty flat out anyway.
I'd be happy to send you some 'Oz' fabric if you like.
Dear Ladies,
I don't know what to say. I am overwhelmed by your generosity. And I'm sorry that I have seemed neglectful to respond here. This post has been in my archives, and I haven't been back to visit it; I've been checking my most recent Katrina-related posts for any new comments in teh past couple of weeks! And I checked Isabelle's, too. I feel terrible that I overlooked coming back here. Let me answer you individually below. Please keep reading.
Thanks SOOOOO much!
Leonie,
I have been reluctant to give my home address to anyone but Isabelle, as a protection for my family. I feel awkward withholding it from well-meaning and generous people like you, but I have not had a peace about it. I will try to contact you by email and see if maybe we can work something out because we do need the masculine fabrics.
Barbara,
Thank you for sending toys directly to Baruch HaShem Congregation. I'm sure there's not a lot for the kids' entertainment down there. Are you kids doing better? My baby (3 year old) split his head open Monday night and needed 2 stitches. (The doctor sews well, you'll happy to know!)
Joel is fine now, just a bit tender in the back of his head.
Thanks for helping out. God bless you!
Belle,
I appreciate your willingness to serve this way. I think, in your case, since you are so far away, that your most "dollar conscious" move would be to sponsor bags. What a sponsor does is send $5 US dollars per bag (you can ask me what fabrics are available and I'll custom make it) plus we'll shop the cheapest stores for toiletries, and then send it. You also tell us what you want written on your sponsor card (or you can mail us a unique one in your own handwriting--how special! The cards are about 1/2 the size of an index card. Another option is probably not as attractive to you (I understand the risk factor) into my ebay account and I could, in turn, do all the above steps in less time.) A third option is to mail a check directly to the rabbi in charge of distributing the kits.
Another way would be to find out if your daughter would like to organzie a Katrina Kit club in her area (church, homeschool group, etc) and send their bags from Ohio! No sense paying shipping twice for complete bags. So you see there are many ways to help. Which one sounds most pleasurable to you?
Briana and Karen-
The next shipment of kid bags will go out (Lord willing) 3 weeks from yesterday. So, OCt 26. Can you please get the stuffies to me by the 15th so I can 'advertise" what I have? People (esp little people) have really been enjoying personalizing these bags by picking their own favorite stuffies to include. My sister just got back from Alaska, and her hubby is an outdoorsman, so I was so pleased when she snatched up the Hunting and Fishing print plus the darling brown moose! But I digress. See you soon, stuffies and all!
Are you still in need of stuffed animals? If so, do you want them mailed directly to:
Rabbi Roi Garcia
Baruch HaShem Congregation
8308 Fredericksburg Rd.
San Antonio, TX 78229 USA
Thanks,
Brenda
Hi Zoanna, I haven't checked back here for a while, but how nice to see your personal replies to each of us :)
I see you're hoping for a delivery on the 26th, so perhaps the quickest way to organise a donation to you, option 2 I think, with me depositing money to your ebay account,and you doing all the leg work - do you have time/energy for that?
Do you accept paypal? That's probably the easiest and quickest way to send the money. Can you send me a link to your ebay store, then while you're sewing away busily, I can think of what to put on cards.
Good on you for taking on this huge undertaking,
blessings,
belle
Brenda,
We do still need stuffed animals but people from my church and neighborhood are providing them. Thanks for asking. If you would like to send what is needed now (other than toiletries) Rabbi Roi says towels and blankets. While it's still kind of warm in Texas, it gets cool at night and starts getting even colder in November. You may send the goods or money toward the goods. Just ask for a receipt if you want if for tax purposes. The address above is the same for either correspondence or package delivery. Are you in the States? Thanks again for asking about the stuffies.
Belle,
I haven't actually got an ebay store. We have only bought on ebay a couple of times, but never sold. I looked up info on receiving payments but am still not clear as to how it works. I am leary about stuff like that. It also looke like I would be charge 1.9-2.9% + 30 cents (US) per payment, so I'd either have to "charge' that amount to sponsors on top of the $5 suggested donation per kit, or else pay it out of my own pocket. If someone could explain it in plain English in such a way that I'm comfortable with the transaction, i will be grateful.
If I don't get back to you right away, please be patient. We have had a death in the extended family and this weekend is really crowded with food prep, viewings, and the funeral .
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home