Zubrowski Christmas Chronicle 2005
Every year for the past four or five, I've been putting our family's "annual letter" into poetry. It's not great, by any stretch, but it's the best I can do. Here goes:
The Zubrowski Christmas Chronicle 2005
Perhaps as you read this, you’re taking a break,
Sipping some hot tea after trashing the fruitcake.
Maybe you’re wearing your new furry sandals
Or enjoying the evening with Hanukkah candles.
Whatever you’re doing, don’t rush, just get cozy
While you’re reading this poem by a poet called Zo Z.
On February 14th our little Joel turned three
And talks up a storm (he comes by it honestly).
He’s got soft, whipped-cream cheeks and a mischievous grin,
Loves cars like his Pappaw and Xbox like Ben.
He boarded the potty train and rode with success
We’re finished with diapers, and that specialized mess.
He’s got a beautiful singing voice and near-perfect pitch
He lifts me up with tender songs when I’m in a foul-mood ditch.
Joel says the funniest things, he’s mentioned oft’ par nom
At www.apenchantforpens.blogspot.com.
Stephen broke both wrists—for him, that’s no shock—
But he’s fine now, playing dribble, pass, and block.
This summer into fall he evangelized in jeans
Took his faith to the mall, shared Christ with other teens.
Sarah joined him every week, Friday nights to be exact,
They asked agnostics questions, answered atheists with tact.
I couldn’t have been more pleased to see my kids at the mall
Not for attention or to buy stuff, but to be answering God’s call.
Speaking of Sarah, she’s a fine and lovely daughter
She’s a hardworking student, too; for her we thank the Potter.
She is gifted with children, so is in constant demand.
A babysitter you won’t find better in this land.
She helps our home run smoothly, taking care of Joel and cleaning.
I dread the day when she gets married—it’ll be harder than weaning!
So we won’t talk of that, it makes my throat grow tight
Even when I pray ahead for her Prince, her Mr. Right.
Big changes for six-foot-six Ben as he up and went to school
What I once imagined to be awful has turned out to be real cool.
I resisted it at first, took a hit to my 40-year-old pride,
“Oh, son,” I said, in great dismay, “why jump off the homeschool ride?”
With me, his mom, still wondering “why?” and his dad saying,“It’s time,”
We released our handsome firstborn and our first handsome tuition dime.
CDS—Christian Discipleship School—is the name of the place
Where he hopes to graduate this year with a smile on his face!
Paul has now been at Zurich since 1984
Faithfully, yet wearily, he goes in and out the door
To provide for us (his always grateful (?)brood) Life’s little luxuries—you know, heat, light, and food.
He was awarded the highest honor in Financial Enterprises;
I was truly glad for him, my hubby in midlife crisis.
I appreciated even more his job when Katrina hit,
Though far from the disaster, we did anything but sit.
Sarah and I, along with some willing, eager friends
Sewed a few drawstring bags, but that’s not where the story ends.
Our little sewing project soon turned into a small-scale NFPO
(Not-for-Profit Organization) here north of Baltimo’.
I let people know of ways they could help if they wanted to
But I wasn’t thinking it would come outside the Red, White, and Blue.
Yet it did—from Canada, Switzerland, England, and France!
A full 253 bags we sent, thanks to people’s money, time, and hands.
“Our year has known no grief, “ I only wish I could say,
But my cousin Craig’s little boy died of cancer in May.
My sister-in-law lost her mother very suddenly
On October 11th, of Tylenol toxicity.
Andrea’s husband, Trip, got orders for Iraq
He’ll be leaving very soon, and we pray, pray, pray he comes safely back!
Andrea the adventurer will be moving to Nevada
To work with wild horses, even farther from sisters, Mom, and Dada!
Well, if you’re still reading this, your tea has gotten cold
Your hair has turned grey, and your bread has grown mold.
Thank you for humoring your dear and wordy sister
Now get up and get going, your mug’s got a blister.
Lots of love to you from Paul, Zo, Ben, Sarah, Stephen ,Joel…and--oh, yes—Molly
The Zubrowski Christmas Chronicle 2005
Perhaps as you read this, you’re taking a break,
Sipping some hot tea after trashing the fruitcake.
Maybe you’re wearing your new furry sandals
Or enjoying the evening with Hanukkah candles.
Whatever you’re doing, don’t rush, just get cozy
While you’re reading this poem by a poet called Zo Z.
On February 14th our little Joel turned three
And talks up a storm (he comes by it honestly).
He’s got soft, whipped-cream cheeks and a mischievous grin,
Loves cars like his Pappaw and Xbox like Ben.
He boarded the potty train and rode with success
We’re finished with diapers, and that specialized mess.
He’s got a beautiful singing voice and near-perfect pitch
He lifts me up with tender songs when I’m in a foul-mood ditch.
Joel says the funniest things, he’s mentioned oft’ par nom
At www.apenchantforpens.blogspot.com.
Stephen broke both wrists—for him, that’s no shock—
But he’s fine now, playing dribble, pass, and block.
This summer into fall he evangelized in jeans
Took his faith to the mall, shared Christ with other teens.
Sarah joined him every week, Friday nights to be exact,
They asked agnostics questions, answered atheists with tact.
I couldn’t have been more pleased to see my kids at the mall
Not for attention or to buy stuff, but to be answering God’s call.
Speaking of Sarah, she’s a fine and lovely daughter
She’s a hardworking student, too; for her we thank the Potter.
She is gifted with children, so is in constant demand.
A babysitter you won’t find better in this land.
She helps our home run smoothly, taking care of Joel and cleaning.
I dread the day when she gets married—it’ll be harder than weaning!
So we won’t talk of that, it makes my throat grow tight
Even when I pray ahead for her Prince, her Mr. Right.
Big changes for six-foot-six Ben as he up and went to school
What I once imagined to be awful has turned out to be real cool.
I resisted it at first, took a hit to my 40-year-old pride,
“Oh, son,” I said, in great dismay, “why jump off the homeschool ride?”
With me, his mom, still wondering “why?” and his dad saying,“It’s time,”
We released our handsome firstborn and our first handsome tuition dime.
CDS—Christian Discipleship School—is the name of the place
Where he hopes to graduate this year with a smile on his face!
Paul has now been at Zurich since 1984
Faithfully, yet wearily, he goes in and out the door
To provide for us (his always grateful (?)brood) Life’s little luxuries—you know, heat, light, and food.
He was awarded the highest honor in Financial Enterprises;
I was truly glad for him, my hubby in midlife crisis.
I appreciated even more his job when Katrina hit,
Though far from the disaster, we did anything but sit.
Sarah and I, along with some willing, eager friends
Sewed a few drawstring bags, but that’s not where the story ends.
Our little sewing project soon turned into a small-scale NFPO
(Not-for-Profit Organization) here north of Baltimo’.
I let people know of ways they could help if they wanted to
But I wasn’t thinking it would come outside the Red, White, and Blue.
Yet it did—from Canada, Switzerland, England, and France!
A full 253 bags we sent, thanks to people’s money, time, and hands.
“Our year has known no grief, “ I only wish I could say,
But my cousin Craig’s little boy died of cancer in May.
My sister-in-law lost her mother very suddenly
On October 11th, of Tylenol toxicity.
Andrea’s husband, Trip, got orders for Iraq
He’ll be leaving very soon, and we pray, pray, pray he comes safely back!
Andrea the adventurer will be moving to Nevada
To work with wild horses, even farther from sisters, Mom, and Dada!
Well, if you’re still reading this, your tea has gotten cold
Your hair has turned grey, and your bread has grown mold.
Thank you for humoring your dear and wordy sister
Now get up and get going, your mug’s got a blister.
Lots of love to you from Paul, Zo, Ben, Sarah, Stephen ,Joel…and--oh, yes—Molly
5 Comments:
That was very sweet! I wrote a poem, too, this year to "chronicle" our year. It's a bit shorter and not quite as good. I don't think poetry is going to be my thing, but I'm going to keep taking stabs at it anyway. I enjoy trying to rhyme and figure out how to be succint (not one of my fortes either). Thanks for posting it.
A poet who doesn't know it!
I thought it was good!
That was really cute!! I'm sure the family enjoyed getting and reading it! Job well done, and happy new year!
Wow, what a poem! Happy New Year and look forward to all you will share on this blog this year!
Zo, hey thanks for the remarks on my recipe. I totally messed that up somehow. I corrected it and it makes more sense now. You mush make it with the squash!!! I was trying to say I leave out the chard. I was writing that in my sleep or something.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home