Senior Moments: This Graduate's Mom Wants Prayer
Dear Blogging Buddies:
My Ben is graduating this Friday. Tomorrow night (Wednesday) the graduates and their parents, along with the principal and his wife, are meeting at a nearby seafood restaurant for the traditional "Senior Dinner." It includes a delicious meal, and then a touching mini-ceremony. Each father has written a letter to his child, and will read it aloud at the dinner. The seniors will, in turn, share God's grace that they've observed in their parents' lives.
After dinner, a limo will pick up the kids and take them all to the Inner Harbor where they'll just walk around and enjoy one of their last evenings together as the class of 2006. All gussied up and looking fine. Smelling like young ladies and gentlemen. Acting much more mature than they usually do, I hope!
I need prayer.
Ever try to dig your heels into the ground and run fast at the same time? I admit I am doing that right now. Part of me is saying, "Stop this crazy ride! I'm not ready for my son to graduate! Wasn't it just 4 days ago the top of his head came just to my waist and he was starting kindergarten at home? Wasn't it three days ago he was pitching for the 8-9 year old boys' homeschool baseball team? Wasn't it 2 days ago I was praying for him as he took the first SAT? Wasn't it yesterday he was entering a "real" school for his senior year? Today he stands nearly 6'7", drives his dad's old car outfitted with new subwoofers, and is polishing a speech he'll be giving to the underclassmen this week.
He has had such a great year at the school. Such a loving group of nine kids so loyal to each other. I love having them in my home; they are polite, respectful, funny, and they know how to converse with adults. I love watching Ben interact with his friends, and how they genuinely have a good time together. So much more godly than my friends and I were at age 18.
So I am grieving the end of the book of high school. He said a couple weeks ago when I asked him how he was feeling about it, "I don't mind the schoolwork being over with, but if I could go back another year for the social stuff, I would."
And yet I am joyfully anticipating the years ahead. What major will he choose? How long will he stick with these godly friends? What about a future career? A wife? Oh, dear. I can't jump ahead. Not with my heels in the ground, anyway. I have a dress to buy!
Please pray for this mama. Sadness and joy all mixed in there with laundry, dishes, old pictures, manicure appointments, and more stuff of life.
My Ben is graduating this Friday. Tomorrow night (Wednesday) the graduates and their parents, along with the principal and his wife, are meeting at a nearby seafood restaurant for the traditional "Senior Dinner." It includes a delicious meal, and then a touching mini-ceremony. Each father has written a letter to his child, and will read it aloud at the dinner. The seniors will, in turn, share God's grace that they've observed in their parents' lives.
After dinner, a limo will pick up the kids and take them all to the Inner Harbor where they'll just walk around and enjoy one of their last evenings together as the class of 2006. All gussied up and looking fine. Smelling like young ladies and gentlemen. Acting much more mature than they usually do, I hope!
I need prayer.
Ever try to dig your heels into the ground and run fast at the same time? I admit I am doing that right now. Part of me is saying, "Stop this crazy ride! I'm not ready for my son to graduate! Wasn't it just 4 days ago the top of his head came just to my waist and he was starting kindergarten at home? Wasn't it three days ago he was pitching for the 8-9 year old boys' homeschool baseball team? Wasn't it 2 days ago I was praying for him as he took the first SAT? Wasn't it yesterday he was entering a "real" school for his senior year? Today he stands nearly 6'7", drives his dad's old car outfitted with new subwoofers, and is polishing a speech he'll be giving to the underclassmen this week.
He has had such a great year at the school. Such a loving group of nine kids so loyal to each other. I love having them in my home; they are polite, respectful, funny, and they know how to converse with adults. I love watching Ben interact with his friends, and how they genuinely have a good time together. So much more godly than my friends and I were at age 18.
So I am grieving the end of the book of high school. He said a couple weeks ago when I asked him how he was feeling about it, "I don't mind the schoolwork being over with, but if I could go back another year for the social stuff, I would."
And yet I am joyfully anticipating the years ahead. What major will he choose? How long will he stick with these godly friends? What about a future career? A wife? Oh, dear. I can't jump ahead. Not with my heels in the ground, anyway. I have a dress to buy!
Please pray for this mama. Sadness and joy all mixed in there with laundry, dishes, old pictures, manicure appointments, and more stuff of life.

3 Comments:
Oh, I'll pray that you find happiness in this, my friend. I hope your Ben has a wonderful graduation.
I'll be praying for you! I don't do well with change either. It's so hard, even when it's good!
Just watch how the pride begins to surplant the sadness ove the next few years!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home