Happy Birthday, Stephen, "Crowned One" Part II
(If you haven't read Part I yet, the post is below this one. )
I skipped into the house and found Paul ironing a shirt for work and watching TV. Normally upon my return home from the center, I was "down"--so burdened by the cares of the clients that I stayed down for two or three days. In fact, Paul asked me later to think about volunteering every other week so that I (he?) would have a few more days "off" between sessions. (I saw the wisdom and soon obliged.)
But this night,as I said--this cold December night a couple weeks before Christmas--I skipped in and nearly bumped into the hot iron.
"What are you so happy about?" he asked.
"About giving you your Christmas present early."
"Is it something I asked for or a surprise?"
"Both." (He had asked the Lord for four children, but he hadn't asked for the third one in recent memory.)
He looked puzzled. I handed him the little gift in blue angel paper. He said, "Yeh, so? It's a white stick with a plus sign on it."
"And..." I coaxed. "What does a plus sign mean?"
"Addition. More. Positive. I dunno."
My radiant smile turned the mental light bulb on. He paused, looked at it again, looked at me as if I'd just bought a 400-dollar purse, and said, "Nuh-uh."
"Yes-huh," I said, "and you'd better move the iron before you scorch your shirt."
We hugged, kissed, laughed and cried--well, I cried, he didn't--and after a while he did what he always does upon receiving news of my pregnancies (or other blessings): he prayed with me to thank God.
I skipped into the house and found Paul ironing a shirt for work and watching TV. Normally upon my return home from the center, I was "down"--so burdened by the cares of the clients that I stayed down for two or three days. In fact, Paul asked me later to think about volunteering every other week so that I (he?) would have a few more days "off" between sessions. (I saw the wisdom and soon obliged.)
But this night,as I said--this cold December night a couple weeks before Christmas--I skipped in and nearly bumped into the hot iron.
"What are you so happy about?" he asked.
"About giving you your Christmas present early."
"Is it something I asked for or a surprise?"
"Both." (He had asked the Lord for four children, but he hadn't asked for the third one in recent memory.)
He looked puzzled. I handed him the little gift in blue angel paper. He said, "Yeh, so? It's a white stick with a plus sign on it."
"And..." I coaxed. "What does a plus sign mean?"
"Addition. More. Positive. I dunno."
My radiant smile turned the mental light bulb on. He paused, looked at it again, looked at me as if I'd just bought a 400-dollar purse, and said, "Nuh-uh."
"Yes-huh," I said, "and you'd better move the iron before you scorch your shirt."
We hugged, kissed, laughed and cried--well, I cried, he didn't--and after a while he did what he always does upon receiving news of my pregnancies (or other blessings): he prayed with me to thank God.
3 Comments:
What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing. What a blessing you have in that hubby, too!
I love your story. I was a bit shocked by my #3 as well. I didn't come around as quickly as you did, but God was so patient. I remember feeling embarrassed to tell people. How awful that such a blessing as my son, Israel would be something that I thought inconvenient and embarrassing! Indeed, God is gracious and merciful. He truly knows what is best not only for the mommy, but for the baby as well.
I'm really enjoying hear this story! Can't wait for more!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home